Turkish citizenship is acquired in two ways. The first of these is the acquisition of citizenship by birth. The second is about the way to acquire citizenship afterwards, and in this article, we will cover the Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship through Marriage.
Conditions for Obtaining Turkish Citizenship by Marriage
First of all, marriage with a Turkish citizen does not automatically entitle foreigners to become Turkish citizens. The conditions of being a Turkish citizen through marriage are regulated in Article 16 of the Citizenship Law No. 5901. In accordance with the text of the relevant law, the foreign national must meet the following conditions in order to become a citizen through the spouse:
- The foreigner who will apply for citizenship has been married to a Turkish citizen for at least 3 years and the marriage continues;
- Joining the spouses in the family union;
- The foreigner does not act contrary to the marriage union;
- The foreigner is not in a situation to threaten public security.
If foreigners meet the above conditions, they can apply for citizenship to the governorships where their settlements are located. However, if the spouse of a Turkish citizen dies after the application date, the condition of living in a family union is not sought.
The last paragraph of the text of the law is about the situation of the foreigner who acquires Turkish citizenship as a result of the marriage ending in nullity. If the foreigner is in good faith in marriage, his citizenship is not revoked.
Required Documents to Become a Turkish Citizen by Marriage
Documents Required in Application for Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship through Marriage
- A fully completed citizenship application form;
- Copy of Turkish spouse’s identity card;
- Notarized Turkish translated copy of passport or similar document;
- Notarized copy of the Turkish translation of the birth certificate of the foreign spouse;
- Marriage Certificate (photocopy to be submitted);
- The most recent residence permit for foreigners whose place of residence is Turkey;
- Document showing that the spouses live in a family union (such as a rental agreement, bank account);
- Biometric photo with white background taken within the last 6 months;
- If there is a finalized court decision about the foreigner for any crime, a notarized copy;
- A document showing that the citizenship application service fee has been paid.
How long does it take to obtain citizenship?
Do not forget that the fast pace of the process in citizenship applications is up to you. The information and documents given in the citizenship applications must be complete and not contradictory to the truth. Attempting to provide this information by the administration will cause the application process to progress slowly.
For detailed information about these processes, you can get support by using our APPLICATION FORM : https://gocmenburo.com/en/immigration-office-service-form .